Saturday 14 May 2011

'Having a baby saved my life': Mel C reveals giving birth to daughter Scarlet cured her of bulimia

Former Spice Girl Mel C says that having her baby daughter saved her life.

The 37-year-old chart star turned stage actress has battled bulimia but said becoming pregnant forced her to focus on someone else, eat healthily and to stop worrying about herself.

The singer - whose real name is Melanie Chisholm - told She Magazine: 'Scarlet hasn't just changed my life, she's saved it.'

Bulimia battle: Former Spice Girl Mel C says that having her baby daughter Scarlett saved her from succumbing to her eating disorder

Bulimia battle: Former Spice Girl Mel C says that having her baby daughter Scarlett saved her from succumbing to her eating disorder

She said: 'As my bump grew the more proud I became of my body and suddenly I felt more comfortable eating healthily.'

The pop star gave birth in February 2009, the last of the Spice Girls to become a mother after concentrating on a successful solo career.

'I put on almost 50lbs and I certainly wasn't in any rush to shed my baby weight. There's too much pressure on mums to ping back into shape.'

Healthy eating: The singer, who's become a West end star in Blood Brothers, says that being pregnant made her rethink her attitude to food

Healthy eating: The singer, who's become a West End star in Blood Brothers, says that being pregnant made her rethink her attitude to food

Yummy mummy: The star gave birth to Scarlet in 2009 but said she was in no rush to lose the 50lb she put on while pregnant

Yummy mummy: The star gave birth to Scarlet in 2009 but said she was in no rush to lose the 50lb she put on while pregnant

This months' She magazine

The artist known to fans as Sporty Spice for many years received critical acclaim for her West End debut and landed an Olivier Award nomination in 2010 for her performance in West End musical Blood Brothers.

In the interview Mel also admitted that her bulimia was a reaction to her fame with the Spice Girls and that she used her eating disorder to administer control over her life.

She said of her time in the group: 'I felt like I wasn't in control of my life, I was public property and I was fixated on my body image.

'Controlling my food was my way of fighting back and not feeling powerless.'

And she told of her worries that the group's reunion world tour in 2007 could have led to a relapse.

But she found that the experience helped her to replace negative memories of her time in the chart act with positive ones.

'It was cathartic because it created a set of healthier memories,' Mel added.

No comments:

Post a Comment