Monday 12 March 2012

Jennifer Westfeldt on being childless despite 14-year relationship with Jon Hamm

In her latest movie, she plays a single woman who decides to have a child with her friend before it's too late.
And life is almost imitating art for Jennifer Westfeldt.
The actress, 42, said that after writing, directing, producing and starring in Friends With Kids, she starting wondering why she and boyfriend of 14 years, Mad Men star Jon Hamm, 41, had not yet had children.
Clucky: Actress Jennifer Westfeldt has started pondering why she and partner Jon Hamm have not yet had children
Clucky: Actress Jennifer Westfeldt has started pondering why she and partner Jon Hamm have not yet had children
'I've thought about this a lot lately. I never thought I’d be this age and not have kids,' she told The New York Times.
'But my life has also gone in a million ways I never anticipated.
'I kept feeling like I'd wake up with absolute clarity, and I haven't. And we have a pretty great life together. The chance that we'll regret it doesn't seem like a compelling enough reason to do it. I may wake up tomorrow with that lighting bolt, and I'll have to scramble to make it happen.'

Jennifer was inspired to write Friends With Kids after watching the effect having children had had on the couple's friends.
Hitting the red carpet: The couple looked stunning at the Vanity Fair party after the Oscars two weeks ago
Hitting the red carpet: The couple looked stunning at the Vanity Fair party after the Oscars two weeks ago
'Best intentions aside, having kids always changes your friendship, at least that first year or so, in a way that I think is painful for both of you.'
Jon, who also stars in Jennifer's movie, said in October that he was not planning children just yet as it was a 'tricky balance to strike'.
Speaking to The Hollywood Reporter, Jon was asked about having children.
He said: 'We don't [have children]. It's always on the periphery of the discussion, but we do not have children.
'You know, it's a tricky balance to strike. And I have a tremendous amount of respect for my friends who do balance this particular career with raising a kid, Because it's a tricky environment to bring them into. So not for us just yet.'
Mates: Jennifer plays a woman who has a baby with her friend Jason, played by Adam Scott, in Friends with Kids
Mates: Jennifer plays a woman who has a baby with her friend Jason, played by Adam Scott, in Friends with Kids
Hamm plays creative director Don Draper and is known for his womanising and affairs while he was was married to Betty, played by January Jones.
But in real life, he is very much committed to Jennifer, who he has been with since 1997, even though he doesn't 'have the marriage chip', according to her.
The pair were asked at the Emmy Awards, how they make their relationship work.
Hamm said: 'Breath mints. That's always important. What else babe?'
Jennifer added: 'We have no secrets. There's no secrets.'
Hamm was also asked about being a sex symbol to which he replied: 'I've been looking in the mirror for 40 years now and it always looks the same to me. I don't know.'

No comments:

Post a Comment