Wednesday 3 August 2011

Meredith Vieira focuses on reconnecting with husband after quitting $10m Today Show job


Reconnecting: Meredith Vieira with her husband Richard Cohen in 2009
Reconnecting: Meredith Vieira with her husband Richard Cohen in 2009
For years, she juggled 2.30am wake-up calls and a demanding TV job with her family life.
Now Meredith Vieira is adjusting to a new pace after leaving her $10 million job on the Today Show in June. 
The 53-year-old said she has been focusing on 'reconnecting' with her with her husband Richard Cohen, who has multiple sclerosis.
'There's a dance to relationships, and we had been doing a little bit of the dancing side by side but not together,' she says in the September issue of America's Good Housekeeping magazine.
'Now, we're back together, and we've got to figure out the rhythm of that dance. That kind of reconnecting is really important.'
At the time of her departure, there was speculation she was leaving to nurse Cohen, a journalist with whom she has three children; 22-year-old Ben who recently graduated from Stanford, Gabe, 19, and Lily, 18.
But she maintains he continues to be 'self-sufficient'.
Top job: The star, pictured with Matt Lauer, signed off from the Today Show in June
Top job: The star, pictured with Matt Lauer, signed off from the Today Show in June
She says: 'I knew for a while that I was leaning [toward leaving]; my gut was telling me that it was time to go.'
'Family and health factored into my decision, but it’s not like Richard is taking some turn for the worse... I was more leaving because he’s healthy.
'So why not while we are able to enjoy life?  He has secondary-progressive MS; we don’t know what’s going to happen.
Focused on family: Meredith Vieira with her husband Richard Cohen and children Ben, Gabe and Lily
Focused on family: Meredith Vieira with her husband Richard Cohen and children Ben, Gabe and Lily
Cover girl: Meredith on the September issue of Good Housekeeping magazine
Cover girl: Meredith on the September issue of Good Housekeeping magazine
'Every year, it’s a little bit worse. On the other hand, he’s doing great compared to a lot of people. And he’s certainly self-sufficient. I mean, the idea that I’m nursing him is ridiculous.'
Vieira also reveals that despite the success she enjoyed over the years, she still struggled with insecurity.
'This might be a Type A–personality trait, but I never felt good enough about myself. I could be better at this, I could be better at that. I could look better. My work could be better,' she admits.
'I feel I always have to work harder, I have to impress all the time. Impress whom? With what? People say, “Just be yourself.” Well, my anxiety is that people aren’t going to want that.'

No comments:

Post a Comment